Wednesday, December 22, 2010

#Reverb10- Prompt 20


What should you have done this year but didn't because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)
_______________________________________________________________________

I live my life with a certain level of uncertainty and worry. I stress myself out more than the work that I do. It's funny people have told me all of my life how smart I am, to be honest I know that I have the smarts because the grades I get tell me so, but when I am in a classroom I tend to not have that much faith in me. I get feelings during my classes that the grades that I am reaching for are far out of my reach. By the time midterms and finals arrive I am one hot mess, pulling crazy all-nighters and losing so much weight I make myself sick. Literally.
So are there things I am scared about, worried about, or unsure of- EVERYTHING! But I don't live my life in fear, even though I am scared about the initial opportunity but I do it anyway. I mean I moved 3,000 miles away without anyone really prompting me to. I also decided to begin my life in a completely new area that I have never lived in before. Where I virtually had no friends except for the ones I made at school and at work. So am I deterred by taking on things. No not really, I might be a little apprehensive but I still take on whatever it is that I set myself to.
So next year I don't worry that I won't be able to accomplish the things that I set out to take on. What I am worried about is the fear of failure. That has been the one thing that I hold on to. In a previous prompt we were asked what 11 things could we get rid of; while I don't have a total of 11. I do know that one thing in particular that I would like to get rid of is my fear of failure. I hold on to it like a second skin and it doesn't always help me with my confidence.

No comments: