Wednesday, December 22, 2010

#Reverb10- Prompt 17


What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?
__________________________________________________________________________________
As I have alluded to and spoke about in previous blogs the backdrop of my parents' broken relationship has played a toll on the woman that I am. Some of it good, some of it bad. And this year I was able to let go of more of those negative pressures and focus on myself a little bit more. So the best thing that I learned about myself this past year is that I no longer have to live my life in fear of my parents' shortcomings. I have for the longest time felt that no matter what other people have told my-- there was something wrong with me and that was why my parents split and also why they are the way they are.
But for the first time I have learned to live out of that shadow and to live my life for me. No longer holding on to the past as a background of my story, but only holding on to the present and looking forward to the future.
Applying this lesson for the future I hope to build on the confidence I have gained and find more ways to be happy with me. One it's no longer holding on to the errors that other people have made towards me, whether it's no being very good friends or human beings. Two, it's me owning the ability to cut people out of my life that are toxic. I think that I have done a fairly good job of distancing myself from these people that have caused a lot of trouble or just been too much about the drama that it hinders me from continuing to progress. And lastly applying this lesson is me owning that there are many things out of my control but the one thing that I can hold on to make me truly happy is owning that there are things out of my control and moving on from there.

No comments: