Monday, December 6, 2010

#Reverb10 -Day 3


Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year.
Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors).

_______________________________________________________________________________

One moment that I felt most alive this year was during a run I took from my school down to the Georgetown waterfront. I had what seemed like a long week, and normally when I am stressed I go for runs to find some release and refocus my energy into outlets.
On this particular day as I mentioned it just seemed as if it was the close of one of the longest weeks ever. I had a lot on my mind and just needed to go for a run. I hadn't been running consistently for 2 weeks, so I wasn't really expected to run as far as I did or as fast as I did.
It was a Friday night a little brisk outside but perfect for a run. I threw on my good running shoes, plugged into my iPod and took off down Wisconsin Ave. It was a Friday night at 8pm so there was some mild traffic. It was fairly dark, but with the lit sidewalk and the red and white lights of care tail and headlights I didn't feel like I could lose my way.
I didn't really have an end to my run or final destination to my run in mind my goal was just to go until my body quit. So I ran, I ran and ran and ran. There was one moment that I picked up speed, rushing past restaurant goers and club hoppers. I hopped pot holes, and sidewalk construction and just kept running. I don't know what was driving me more my momentum or the thoughts in my head. As quickly as the laughter came it went even faster as I passed couples and families on the street.
When I hit M Street, the street and Georgetown sort of came alive. It was a cluster of people, cars, sounds and smells coming in from the restaurants and clubs that lined M Street. This time of night the city was bustling. I didn't realize how far I had actually gotten until I hit the water front and could see the different boats lined up along the dock. Various parties had begun on these boats and the view of Roslyn with the lights of the city buildings were amazing. I decided to keep running a little further, only because I still had the energy to do so. I ended up making it to the Kennedy Center and where I eventually stopped I could see the points of the Pentagon 9-11 Memorial.
I felt so accomplished that after 2 weeks of not running, I was able to run for this distance without stopping. I didn't really think of what I saw, or heard along the way until I wrote this blog. I was more impressed by the destination and the time it took and the fact that I hadn't cramped up. But it's nice to relive that moment and hopefully I can reclaim it again.

No comments: