Wednesday, December 8, 2010

#Reverb 10 -Prompt 7


Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

____________________________________________________________________________________

My community in 2010 has come out of the jobs that I have. I am a Resident Assistant at American University and my staff this year has come together so well. We enjoy hanging out with each other and we really look out for each other. I think the strength is that although we work together we all have different lives and different passions that don't make us have to sort of be on top of each other all the time. I think the plus is that we also genuinely like each other.
We hold "family" dinners every other week, where I mainly cook (because I love it so much) and we all just hang out and relax. I get excited to get away from my hectic week and see my co-staff and just laugh and have a good time. And when we put on events, WE GO HARD!!!

My other community that I discovered is the one that was created without me and one that I have now fallen into. I work with the Frederick Douglass Distinguished Scholars Program at AU. These students are a great bunch of young adults, and my boss is great. Ironically, one of my RA staff members works with me for FDDS. Which is fabulous! So there is a bit of familiarity and something very new as well.
The community I would like to connect with more deeply in 2011 is my Graduate Program Community. I haven't really felt very connected to the members in my program so it would be nice to build a cohort and grow in learning with them. So that is what I am looking forward to next semester. I am looking forward to growing in this community and growing in my learning through this community. So here is to that growth and here is to yet another year to finding my place.

No comments: