Saturday, January 1, 2011

#Reverb10-Prompt 30

This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What's the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?
_____________________________________________________________________________
This is interesting. I never know what to get for myself so whenever people ask me what do you want for your birthday or Christmas while there may be many things that I can think of well after the fact bu when people ask me, I am like I don't know-- a book, some money etc. But it rarely is something that I am like YES! That is EXACTLY what I needed. For instance this holiday I had no clue what I wanted. But now after the holiday is over I realize a FLAT IRON would be nice! No, it's necessary!
I feel that I have more of an idea of how to give useful gifts for others than I do for myself. For instance in High School I gave a friend his favorite chocolate and a CD that I let him borrow from time to time because he really liked it. For a friend on his last birthday I gave him a collection of CDs by his favorite band because the CDs he had were ruined, either scratched or damaged in some other fashion.
I don't know if I have received that memorable gift that was tangible or emotional. But a gift that stands out is a graduation present I received from a friends mother. Porcupine needle earrings. It is a Native American gift and they are beautiful. Another gift I got was a gift from a friend who had taken my graduation picture and created a picture frame with my name the year and month I graduated, the school and words of wisdom it was nice. And this Christmas another friend bought me this quote block that I can put up in my room. I don't have the quote right now ( I will put it in once I get it out of my suitcase) But it's perfect for me because it means it captures all of the feelings and the confidence I need to have in reaching my goals.
I think moving into the new year I will do a better job at making sure that I articulate things that are needed. But I hope that in the future I will be able to take care of the things that are needed for me and my family and not have to worry about the other stuff.

No comments: