Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Tale of Two Songs...

Hey Ya'll so you know how the story goes, most of the time my iPod is on shuffle and I hear a song that triggers another memory or just some thoughts that I have on my life and/or a certain part of my life. Well this time the song that triggered my thinking and this blog is a Chris Brown song (what else is new)... On his most recent album- Graffiti Chris Brown has a song titled " Gotta Be Your Man." I had my iPod on shuffle on his music only and this song played and I remembered that on his Exlusive album he had a song titled " I wanna be." There are many differences and similarities to both of these songs and I would like to break them down for you. And for no other reason than that I thought it was interesting that CB went from saying that he " Wanted to be [your man]" to he "Gotta be your man." It sparked this thought of the transition or eveolution between thoughts and between the various versions of self.
So here are the lyrics first to " I wanna be" off of Exclusive

I Wanna Be"

[Intro:]
[Sigh] Look. I know we've been friends for a while now.
But, I just feel like I can confess to you.
It's gonna be hard but.
Alright here it goes...

[Verse 1:]
Imagine that the pillow that you cried on was my chest,
and the tissue that you wiped your face with was my hand.
Girl, imagine: if you needed advise about some other guy, I'm the one that comes to mind.
Not tryna hear you tell nobody that I'm just a friend,
just trying to make sure I'm that body that you call your man,
and anytime you need a shoulder -- it's yours, night or day,
but what I'm tryna say is, I wanna be...

[Chorus:]
The last number you call late at night (said I wanna be),
The first one that you dial when you open your eyes.
Wanna be the one you run to,
wanna be the one that ain't gonna hurt you,
I wanna be yeah, I wanna be yeah..
Be the man making your girl jealous,
be the guy shuttin' down all the fellas..
whatever you need, girl, it's all on me:
soldier, your friend or your lover, girl,
I wanna be...

[Verse 2:]
Would it be cool?
Would you mind if I called you my boo,
what if the next whip you was pushin' was the one I bought for you?
Can I be the one that meets your pops and take your mama shoppin', be the only one they like?
Have you thought about it -- wait -- really thought about it?
Maybe you should take some time
call your girls and talk about it, yeah.
'cause I done already made up my mind,
don't need no more time to know if I wanna be with you,
I wanna be...

[Chorus]

[Verse 3:]
Put me on your screen saver, all over your myspace and make me one of your top favorites,
that's where I wanna be...
The one you cryin' for (stand up for and fightin' for)
wanna be your good, bad, love, hate girl..

[Chorus]

[x2]
Cross my heart hoped to die, on everything that's good,
I'm gonna do you right, show you right, get this understood.

[Chorus]

Girl I wanna be, I wanna be.... [sigh]
I wanna be, I wanna be...

And for your viewing and Listening pleasure here is a YouTube video to accompany the lyrics....


And here is the I guess remix version, with more determination- in my opinion. I guess CB got a little more spunk. There is more of a necessity involved in this second song than there was with the first one. It is clear that CB did grow up in this album. When "Exclusive" CB talked about how he was on that grown and sexy and how he wasn't a kid anymore. I feel that "Graffiti" and this particular track also show the growth by CB. It hasn't been confirmed but I feel that Justin Bieber is the background singer on this song..

" Gotta be your man"

Gotta be your man. I gotta be your man. I gotta be your maaaaan, man. I gotta be your man x2, I gotta be your maaaaan...

Verse 1
Gotta be your man, one, cause you look so good. Two, cause you look so good. Three, cause you look so good. Next, gotta be your man cause I know you a boss chick. I know that me your top btch. Won't lie, I kinda like it, yea.

Hook
Cause it's so hard to find somebody like you girl. With a face and a booty like you girl. Your qualities are true girl, ooo girl. I promise I wrote this here song for you girl. The words are talkin bout you girl. I ain't lying, this is true girl, ooo girl.

Chorus
Before, oh, oh, oh, you girl, you girl. I was always in the club, got every chick to give it up, oooh. Before, oh, oh, oh, you girl, you girl. Before my life is oh so crazy, til I met you, now I gotta be your man. I gotta be your man x2. I gotta be your maaaaan, man. I gotta be your man x2. I gotta be your maaaaan.

Verse 2
I know you think it's bullsh, what I'm sayin girl, but I'm real with what I'm sayin girl, and I'm not just tryin to get you girl, yea. Cause I could get a lot of chicks, the baddest women on my sh. When it comes to you, I must admit,they aint got ish on you, girl

Hook
Cause it's so hard to find somebody like you girl. With a face and a booty like you girl. Your qualities are true girl, ooo girl. I promise I wrote this here song for you girl. The words are talkin bout you girl. I ain't lying, this is true girl, ooo girl.

Chorus
Before, oh, oh, oh, you girl, you girl. I was always in the club, got every chick to give it up, oooh. Before, oh, oh, oh, you girl, you girl. Before my life is oh so crazy, til I met you, now I gotta be your man. I gotta be your man x2. I gotta be your maaaaan, man. I gotta be your man x2. I gotta be your maaaaan.

Maaaaan, I gotta, I gotta, I gotta be. x2 Maaaaan, I gotta, I gotta, I gotta be your man. I gotta be your man. I. Oooooh.



Alright, it must be said I do have a soft spot for CB. So there will be many more evaluations of his music in the future.

No comments: