Friday, September 24, 2010

Pretty Girl Swag- The new attitude and movement







Hey there.. so for those of you who follow me on FB or Twitter (@njc89) have known that this summer has been all about me embracing what is called " Pretty Girl Swag". Well many of you have been asking what does this mean, and well I am here to tell you.
First let me tell you the origin of where this "movement" comes from. Ciara took on a mixtape version of Soulja Boy's -Pretty Boy Swag. And well I just really liked the concept, "Pretty Girl Swag," here is the unofficial video off of youtube that will give you a chance to at least hear the song and see where I am coming from.



So now you might want to know why I chose this song as my new motto of sorts.
Well first let me tell you that I just turned 25 and in embracing this new age, I have begun to come into my own and really embrace the woman that I want to be. If you have been reading any of the other blogs that I have, you will know that my life is well interesting to say the least. And it is because of my interesting life that I haven't really given time for myself to be me and to enjoy being in my own skin. So part of my journey to 25 was learning to sort of love me. I started talking to a counselor to let go of the things that I didn't know I was allowing to still control my life. I feel much better and clearer, that I am not living my life anymore in response or reaction to those things that triggered huge moments in my life. I didn't realize how much these moments had an impact in my life. My friends will tell you that I am a genuinely happy person and that when they learn about the things that I have been through, they had no idea that that was my life. I have just learned to go through the motions I guess and live my life. So going to a counselor helped me to put into perspective that I do not have to live that life, that I get to be me and move past that life.
So once my mind was cleared of the drama and I could be happy with the future other things came into play. I have been having issues with my weight, I mean I am not overweight, but I am not in my opinion "healthy" and I had for years been trying to adjust my lifestyle to be a little more healthier and fit. This summer I began running, and running and running. And it was the best thing for me. I use running as a way to get closer to God and to just release the stress of my day. There is nothing like running in the early morning with a clear head to have conversations with God and just tell Him how you are doing. I am spiritual if you haven't already learned and this is just one of those ways that I can connect. So in getting healthy I have been in many ways begun to feel much more comfortable about myself and the way I look. I look in the mirror and I don't have anything negative to say about myself anymore. I look in the mirror and the compliments that I have been hearing over the years are the same compliments that I see in myself. Part of getting me right through talking to a counselor also helped me to get me right through my body too.
I call "Pretty Girl Swag" an attitude because I think it's something that starts with you. Ciara says "Everybody pay attention," Like I want the world to know that I exist, I want the impact I have on this world do be a great one and it starts with self and the image I project. So part of PGS is an attitude, it's an image, it's basically me. It's a philosophy that I think if we allow ourselves as women to embrace the self, that we might actually make a difference in the relationships and the messages that we are giving women. And yes I have to realize and come to grips with the fact that I got this philosophy out of a message that might not have been promoting the same image I was, but still.
PGS is about realizing your own strength and power. Like I said, it was one thing for people to tell me all the good they saw in me, without me seeing that good in myself. PGS is about me really seeing the good for myself. So PGS is a lot of learning, growing and finally being happy with and accepting myself.
I call it a movement because I think PGS could be something that all girls and women embrace and define for themselves. It's one thing to find your ground it's another thing to help someone else find theirs.

So here is to all my ladies who are reppin PGS! GET IT! LOVE IT! and LOVE YOU!!

No comments: