Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Can't believe I am about to write this....


Hey Ya'll so I am all for music and interesting music videos etc. But I am so torn with this music video and the lyrics, and I don't know why it disturbs me as much considering male musicians say stuff like this all the time and I don't even flinch.
But watching this made me want to confront some of my own issues I guess with the sexist world we tend to buy into and conform to.
I mean first let me go into the fact that Ci Ci goes from being moderately clad to scantily clad by the end of the video, and given she is wearing a HUGE fur coat but really, it doesn't take much to realize what is under there. Secondly, the very end after going through all this stuff, " They love the way I ride it," " I market it real good," etc there is Ci Ci on a mechanical bull with a barely there wet white tee-shirt and some booty shorts.
Now don't get me wrong when I first heard this song, I mean it's a good song, if you know what I mean... But then put this together with the music video and there are some issues that this stirs up in me. And yes I realize the double standard, and I am working through it.. I just needed to voice my opinion, I guess the main part of it, is that Ci Ci has been a little refreshing given that she hasn't had to do stuff like this so much, at least she's not doing it all at one time...
Needless to say there are many parts of this video that I love, like the fact that she evokes MJ through practically all of it, from the opening scene where she takes a bit from his " The Way you make me feel,"

Pay special attention when MJ and the male dancers start to move to the floor routine..

and where she (Ci Ci) just pulls a little bit of his most classic moves throughout out the video, here is MJ

Especially check the first like minute when MJ is in the gold outfit, tell me if that doesn't remind you of a little move Ci Ci does in here video?! I am a HUGE MJ fan and what made me loooooove this video is seeing him through her... You can't forget either his awesome finger tape that Ci Ci modify with her gold versions (picture is the main image of this blog)
Anyways despite my initial reaction to this video there is so much that I can see that saves this so. I guess thanks Ci Ci,for reminding me and allowing me to catch a glimpse of the amazing genius we lost and giving us a chance to see him again..

So here is Ci Ci's video, tell me what you think


No comments: