Tuesday, July 3, 2018

There's a little #Olitz in all of us.. Scandal

Hey Y'all... So let's talk a little bit about Guilty Pleasures.. I LOVE Scandal!!
I mean I LOVE Scandal. I have been watching it since it first aired and every Thursday night, I would sit with my red wine and popcorn and watch it-- Until Season 6, when I stopped briefly. But I have since caught up and finished the series with Season 7... But I digress...

This was my show, you couldn't call me, text me or tweet me during Scandal. There was even one time, my best friend knew that I needed to watch the show and timed it to pick me up so I could help him pack for a trip between a commercial for me to not miss a beat. There was another time that I ended a date early so I could make it back on time. 😆

So I know all of the theories, the comments people made about  the love story that is #Olitz. The frustrations that people had that a woman with the confidence, strength, power and intelligence of Olivia has a weakness and that weakness is love. The frustrations people had that this same woman's weakness was also married.

People often held that as the dark stain on the show, but if we separate the fact that Fitz was married, the reality is we all are #Olitz or have had the potential to have that experience.


I am a Christian, but before I was saved and moreso before I fully understood what it meant to have a relationship with God, relationships were not clean or easy. You see, in the world we don't understand how to truly love people. We live in a fallen world and that translates into relationships as well.

There are things that I know now about how I handled and sometimes still handle relationships that were unhealthy. And not because I intended to hurt someone, or hurt myself, but because I didn't know any better. So when I think about #Olitz I know I am not that different. Two broken people in a fallen world, fell in love. At the heart of it, the tension, the emotion and the drama of their relationship--aside from the infidelity is a reflection of that brokenness. When I rewatch this show, I see glimpses of me. I see moments in how I acted in relationships where I lashed out because loving someone that deeply was just so painful.

I also just think about their back and forth and how they try to walk away but can't. We all have our Fitz or Olivia. In being a Christian, that part comes with now knowing I didn't know how to guard my heart and therefore I allowed myself to let someone else in deep in to a place that should be reserved for my husband and I still navigate the remnants of those past relationships. There are some that will stick with me, some that I continue to pray are finally released. These are known as Soul Ties where literally your soul is tied to someone else. Why, because I gave pieces of myself away to that person, pieces that were reserved for my future. So when I see #Olitz, the yo-yo of their relationship IS a Soul Tie. They are tied to each other and so in that tie, they will make choices that are not the best. They will ultimately destroy each other in many ways because while they might love each other, that love is not contained. It is not harnessed in a way that creates safety so it implodes.


I have certainly had that type of love, or have allowed the thought that that type of love has been in my grasp. And in holding that type of love, I have definitely been in situations where I have been destructive to that type of love.

So we all have a little #Olitz in us. I just also now know that my next relationship will be contained, under the protection of God and there in that space that explosive type of love will not be destructive.

And yes, I own there are a lot of details I am forgiving in this show, but in this go round, all I see is the love. As toxic as the love might be, I am in for the love.

I'll likely come back to this again, because there are definitely layers.

No comments: