Thursday, May 19, 2011

So many things to be happy for...

Hey all.. It has been a minute since I have posted to the blogs, and my apologies that the other Social Media networks (Twitter, Facebook etc) have been getting more love from me than you. I do have to say however, the blogs will always be my favorite source. I have more of an opportunity to really write about what I want to and to be "long-winded" with it as well.

So here is the news in my life. I don't know if I have spoken much about my education etc. I am currently in school for my Master's in Political Science: Applied Politics at American University. I completed my Bachelor's Degree here as well in Political Science in 2010. I currently work for Housing and Dining Programs as a Campus Host (a Resident Assistant and Desk Staff Combo) as well as a Graduate Assistant position with THE FREDERICK DOUGLASS DISTINGUISHED SCHOLARS PROGRAM- (yes I am an overachiever). Because of the two latter positions I have been drawn to a life in Higher Edcuation and more primarily to a life in Education Policy. Why?! Well because I have begun to see through the many Social Justice Issues that I have been privvy to be apart of, that Education at least in my opinion is the base for which all other problems stem. My interest in news on Education, my attendance at programs speaking on Edcuation hav eall been drawing points for me to invest further in creating solutions for educational systems. I think a lot of this passion stems from seeing how education is handled in the United Sates and particualrly within Urban communities- as this is a community I identify with. Anyways, because of this love of a more focused direction, I recently applied for a position within Housing and Dining called the Assistant Resident Director. While I might not be educating students in the traditional sense, I am making a difference, or will make a difference for students I connect with, by challenging them to be smarter leaders. To really understand issues and to learn from them. I am still learning, I think that is the great thing about life. I do not have all the answers and while I am still trying to carve out what type of person I want to be, it will be hard to help another person carve out their direction, but I know that it will be fun.
So here is to the new path I am taking in life. While the journey may seem daunting moving forward, I am extremely excited for the opportunity.

No comments: