Thursday, September 4, 2008

Situational Tour

What a better place than the nation's capitol? The project asks that we pick a location in Washington, D.C that invokes some emotion or image of authority, ritual, ideology, and security. At first I was going to choose the Lincoln Memorial, I would have liked to see what Lincoln sees everyday, looking out on the mall, etc. Or how about what it would have been like "to be" the Lincoln statue during the March on Washington? All of these things were something that I had thought about, and the fact that this monument is like one of the most visited ones, just goes to show how much of a ritual visiting these historical landmarks are not just for Americans, but for the world as well.
Well like I had said, I WAS going to do my situational tour on Lincoln, but getting off on the Metro I got stuck, and well sort of found a new outlook on the life in D.C. I have now chosen to do my situational tour on the CAPITOL itself. That is right, CAPITOL HILL. In retrospect what other location is as ritualisic and an example of authority and security as this location. The Hill is rich in American culture and history. In and of itself the name alone and what it stands for demonstrate the key terms of this project.




View Larger Map

No comments: